Saturday, April 26, 2008

top of the muffin to you! (part 1)


so...as anyone who has read this blog knows, i have a constant stream of baked goods paraded in front of me by my brother, which i really think is the single biggest factor contributing to me not being able to get and/or stay skinny. (more hard evidence on that later)..anyway, i've decided to fight back. kind of.

i am a bakedgoodsaholic. but i am discovering that to a certain extent, it doesn't really make a difference what kind of baked goods. for now anyway, i seem to feel ok about eating a muffin while watching my brother eat his weight in chocolate chip cookies.

so, last weekend, i made 3 batches of healthy, high fiber, low point muffins. i individually wrapped each muffin and put them all in the freezer.

so far, it has worked brilliantly. a) because the muffins are in the freezer, they are out of sight/out of mind. b) i have baked good available when faced with cookie envy...baked goods that only take 35 seconds to heat up in the microwave. c) each muffin is all wrapped up so it's "special"---but it also installs a trip switch--i.e., do you really want to unwrap and heat up another muffin?

anyway, they have been in the freezer for a week and i'm happy to say that they're not even a 1/3 of the way gone. not even close. i think i've eaten about 10 small ones over the last week. most of the time if i bake something it's gone in about 3 days.

plus, i got my baking fix. i love baking. too bad i'm not one of those naturally skinny people, otherwise i'd open a pastry shop tomorrow.


RECIPE #1: Apple Cinnamon Muffins (1 pt)
via Hungry Girl

Take the Fiber One Muffin mix (IGNORE box directions), add 1 cup canned pumpkin, 1 cup water, and 1/2 cup Egg Beaters (or egg whites). Mix until just blended. Pour the mixture into 18 of the muffin cups, and bake as directed (refer to the box). The recipe makes 18 muffins instead of 12, and each one has just 95 calories & 2g fat and still has close to 4g fiber. (1 point!) (and they're YUMMY!)

more recipes to follow...

6 comments:

Healthy Pear said...

I can sooo relate to your post! I'm a fellow "bakedgoodsaholic". It's my downfall especially muffins. I freeze mine aswell but when I take one out for my daughter, I often take one out for me too. I always have to have them on hand because of playdates with my little girl's friends and mommys coming over for coffee.
The recipe sounds great. Unfortunately, we don't have "Fibre One" muffin mix in Canada. Will try making my next batch of muffins with pumpkin though! Sounds so delicous! Thanks! :)
Btw, I'm glad you're doing so well with your baked goods plan!

Amy said...

Holy cow! I want those muffins! I will def be trying them out!

HC said...

Those sound delicious -- I'm going to have to go hunting for the fiber one muffin mix!

Carolyn said...

Where did you find the Fiber One muffin mix??? I'll have to take a look around for it!

Sara said...

yay for an awesome solution!!

Meg said...

thanks for the comments!

carolynn--i found the muffin mix at my Super Target here, but i haven't seen it anywhere else yet.