Tuesday, August 5, 2008

life in my post-diet coke world


i haven't had a diet coke since may. nope, not even one. and i've had nothing but positive results. here's the scoop:

- i am saving between $20-25 a week. (yes, i really did drink that much diet coke. i know. gross)

- i have noticed a huge reduction in mood swings. even my brother has noticed--"wow, you're not cranky anymore all the time."

- i've also noticed a huge reduction in headaches. i used to have one..um..just about everyday. not anymore.

- i have more energy. i used to feel tired all the time--no matter how much dc i drank. i feel so much more awake now that i have in years.

- and here's the BIG one: my hair is getting thicker!

for years--since i was about 15-16, i've had problems with my hair falling out. most of my friends probably didn't really know, since it's not something that i ever talked about (i was super super self-conscious about it), and i did a pretty good job of hiding it. but i haven't been able to wear my hair down w/o clips or bobby pins or something since i was about 14. anyway, i've had my thyroid checked a gazillion times, all kinds of other blood work done and no one could ever figure out what the problem was. i've tried a bajillion different shampoos and other topical treatments, some kind of worked, some didn't...but my hair just kept falling out. usually the dermatologist would be like, "well, it looks like you got the genetic shaft. talk to your hair stylist about how to cover it up." so, that's what i've been doing since i was about 15...lots of highlights and clever hairstyles so that no one could see. i had pretty much resigned myself to just having thin hair. sucky, right? but there are worse things in life, so i just stopped caring. the only time it really upset me was when i would go to get a haircut with a new stylist who didn't know that i was part-bald. i hated, dreaded getting my hair done and the inevitable questions and suggestions that i should get my thyroid checked or try rogaine.

anyway, long story short, i got my hair cut a few weeks ago and my stylist (who i've been going to for over a year) was like "holy cow, you have twice as much hair as you used to! all these bald spots are starting to grow in. what have you been doing?"

i think it was the diet coke. for real.

i've never believed any of the crazy "diet coke ruined my life" stuff that you read on the internet, but i really truly believe that diet coke made my hair fall out. i started drinking it a lot around age 15-16, which is when i started to have the hair problems. and it seems as my consumption increased, so did the hair loss. i've read several other people's "stories" about diet coke, and have seen other people mention it too....i know, sounds completely crazy. and i don't think that diet coke will make everyone's hair fall out--i know tons of people with super thick hair who drink it. but for whatever reason, not drinking diet coke has made a HUGE difference in my i-dont-have-any-hair-and-i-want-to-die problem.

too much information? maybe. but, i know for me i've felt self-conscious about hair loss for years and felt like i was the only one who was dealing with it (especially at a young age!). so, for whatever it's worth, that's my story.

and now i'm off to drink a big glass of water...

image from here

7 comments:

marie said...

I suddenly don't want the pop that's on my desk...

Carolyn said...

WOW
I can't believe that diet coke has such a negative impact on so many areas of life. That is incredible. Good for you for giving it up, look at all you've gained from it. The headaches alone would be enough for me. Congrats!!

Unknown said...

WOW WOW WOW WOW!!!!!!!!!!

I'm so proud of you! (Which sounds weird because I don't actually know you, but still!)

I remember when I quit the DC (whoa, it will be a year ago in Oct!) you commented that you didn't think you ever could...and now look at you!

2-3 months without the drug! Congratulations Meg!

And as for the positive results: AMAZING!

I didn't have anything nearly as monumental happen, except for the fact that I really and truly don't miss it, and no longer even like the taste...which is so strange as I used to get a SERIOUS, undeniable, hardcore jones for the stuff.

I'm so happy for you, and for your hair! =)

Unknown said...

Wow!

I'm in the first week of cutting back on diet dr pepper. Oh man, does this week hurt. But yeah, all your points are exactly why I'm trying to cut back.

Good for you!

katieo said...

Oh I TOTALLY believe all woes can be blamed on the DC.
I think it's awesome you've kicked it.

Unknown said...

You won't marry a real prince until you get rid of some kilos of your weight! But I know, how to lose weight!

Unknown said...

wow. i so so happy i found this.
Its given me hope!!!

Im a 22 year old guy. I too live in michigan! and for the past year I started to notice my hair thinning a little. now its really really noticeable and Im scared.

Im known for my good thick hair
(not bragging) but every time i got a hair cut the stylist would tell me i could be a "hair model" or "man, you have thick hair" I even won best hair in high school haha

now, i suffer from anorexia but im much better then i used to be. Ive been sick for about 4 years now and in this past year i stared noticing my hair was loosing its "life" it started to become thin, straw like, lifeless and just shitty.
and i could not understand why im loosing so much??
so, i asked myself. when did i start noticing it? what have i done differently this past year with my eating disorder??
AhhHAaa!!

DIET COKE!!!!
I never drank soda.
then one day, I saw on a pro Ana web page that diet coke was a good replacement for when you're hungry. so in this past year i was drinking tons of it! my friends know how much i love drinking it. and when i tried to stop i would get really bad headaches and mood swings.

and now its extremely noticeable.
Im now on vitamins and pills to help me get nutrition back into my body and also im trying to eat more.

i've been searching the web for stories about diet coke and hair loss and its true!!
your story has giving me hope. and i should of educated myself on the dangers of diet sodas and what in them and what they do to your body. and its fact. studies have proven that the aspartame in the diet soda CAN cause HAIR LOSS!!

I hope my story can help someone.

just stay away from it. trust me.