Sunday, February 24, 2008

learning to say no

no is a very tough word for me. and not just in the weight-loss department. in all facets of life, i just hate saying no. (cue that song from...Oklahoma? I'm just a girl who can't say no...) i'm constantly getting myself into situations where using the word "no" would prevent sooo much frustration. and yet, i keep on saying yes. old habits die hard, i suppose.

i am a yes kind of girl. i like to make people happy. people like it when you say yes. yes-- you'll help them with this even though you have to rearrange your entire life to do it...or yes you'll take on this massive project that you know you don't have time for....you know...we all do it, i'm sure.

i also like saying yes to treats. yes, sugar. yes, ice cream. yes, cookies. yes. yes yes yes.

until i look in the mirror...then i think no no no no no.

hmm.

a connection? yes, i think there is.

i need to embrace no. i know i know, i shouldn't deny myself treats, i should just eat in moderation. i totally believe in that. but eating in moderation requires saying "no more" after treat numero uno. no more treat numero dos...

sigh.

does this make any sense? hmm. well, it's been quite a weekend. it was the brother's b-day. luckily he didn't want a cake...but for some reason i felt possessed to make him his favorite double chocolate cookies. so now there are 3 doz. cookies in the house--- and this time it's my fault. there were also some ill-advised cinnamon rolls as part of the celebrations...chipotle...and pizza. ugh.

this week i need to say yes to exercise, vegetables, water and more exercise. yes to counting points. yes to weighing in. yes to getting back on track. and no to the treats.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

'No' is hard for a lot of people Meg, that's for sure!! Make a point this week just to try it ONE time, and see how it feels....

and I bet it's not as bad as you fear, you know? Then the next time someone asks an impossible favor, you can feel at least a teensy bit more confident about saying no... It will get easier!

As for the cookies, girl, I'd be powerless to resist double choco homeade cookies!! I'm a cookie monster (but only for the homeade, good stuff!)

Amy said...

I'm also a 'yes' girl. No so much as of late, but definitely in the past. A little too much of a people pleaser, but with this quest to become healthier also comes more of a backbone. Practice saying no and meaning it... You'll get the hang of it! ;)

katieo said...

Your bro is the perfect person to practice saying no to!

(And I totally know what you mean about stopping at one. SO hard)

pamelabee said...

I'm a Yes person too. "Oh what the hell...it's only one more thing!" seems to be a phrase that I think to myself way too often. Whether it's a school project or a party with friends, or a glass of wine, or another piece of cheesecake...My NO! ability isn't what it should be.

We all just need to channel our inner two year olds, when the answer to almost everything was NO! NONONONONONO! But we won't kick and flail...unless we're alone, of course ;)

carla said...

your points comment made me think of a site I saw recently

gonna blog about it friday (if I get my sh*t together :)) in LINKLUUUVE.

MizFit