Monday, January 21, 2008

The Tire

As you may have surmised from my lack of blogging lately, I haven't been the 200% dieter that I wanted to be lately. I'm not exactly sure why - probably a combination of being busy, being lazy when I'm not being busy, and liking food too much and exercise not enough. I haven't quite fallen off the wagon yet, but my leg is kind of dangling off...if you know what I mean.
I've been kinda exercising (thanks to marking my calendar when I exercised) and eating has been so so, but there have been more sweets than I care to admit. (Oh, and just because chocolate covered peppermint marshmallows are "not as bad" as cookies doesn't mean a dieter should make a double batch and leave them out in a clear container. Oy.)

Last week I weighed in at 141.5 which was higher than I wanted and after a small incident with come cake, whip cream, and marshmallows, I was starting to feel my "tire". It's getting a bit squishy and just more THERE than it was a few weeks ago. It's not very apparent, but I don't feel as comfortable in tight shirts.

So, I need to do something about this. I need to firm up on points (I keep cheating here and there) and exercise more. The problem is that work is ramping up again and I'm just not sure I have the energy to bother right now. I'll be graduating this semester, so these next few months are going to be really rough (paper writing, paper re-writing, finishing experiments, writing dissertation, giving talks, finding a post doc position, etc.). Often when I get home from school, I am totally zonked and feel lucky that I at least have healthy food around (um, except for those darn marshmallows and spice cake. sheeet.) Exercise is totally out of the question. And on weekends, I'm way more interested in spending time with the boy and my friends, and relaxing or fixing up the house.

So, help!!! What would you do if you thought life was about to get a whole lot busier, your waistline was getting a whole lot flabbier, and you're not sure you care enough to do something about it but care enough to try a little and feel guilty about it the rest of the time? I know I should put my foot down and declare war on my weight but I don't know if I have it in me right now.

(image credit)

8 comments:

katieo said...

oh I totally know how you feel.
Just remember it doesn't have to be all or nothing.
(Like Maybe just putting AWAY those delicious marshmallows, instead of having them out in plain sight...) It really doesn't have to be an all-out war, you really can give yourself a break and lower those expectations. If you wait until you really care and are really motivated, that may be when that tire has gotten rounder and squishier.

If you're going to be really busy and exhausted you might just want to aim to maintain.
And the weekends? I get you want to spend time with the boy and friends because you've probably been putting in massive long days at school, but working out doesn't take the whole day, You really could get up and put in 30 minutes doing something. I swear by my life, exercise will give you more energy. I know, I know. you've probably heard it a million times. Maybe don't do it to lose weight, but more for that endorphin rush that it sounds like you could really use right now.

Don't overanalyze, Just do it!

(just reread that. I hope I didn't come across as lecture-y!)

Unknown said...

I was going to say that I don't know what to tell you.... but after reading KatieO's comment... I gotta say, I agree! Aim to maintain and do whatever teensy, tiny, non-monumental things you can.

That KatieO is such a smartie!

Meg said...

i concur with katieo, and thickchick is right, she is a smartie!

here's my two cents: be nice to yourself and don't add more stress to your life, but don't throw in the towel either. focus on maintaining...maybe weigh in less often and decide on an "emergency weight" (i.e. go into battle mode if you see 'x' number on the scale)...i think things will get easier once it is not so cold and you can ride your bike more too...and i agree with katieo--exercise doesn't have to take all day and it really does give you more energy. i know it feels like yet another thing on the to do list, but it actually helps me get my to do list done faster. and it assuages some of the guilt if you slip a little on the eating/counting thing.

Sara said...

Aim to maintain is totally true. Try and just do 10min of exercise a day. Oh and throw out the marshmellow goodies!

Bri said...

Wow - you ladies are all v. smart -the solution is always easier when it's not your own problem, eh? Here's the plan:
1) send rest of marshmallows with boy to work tomorrow.
2) when points reset on Friday, resume reporting of daily pointage on the blog.
3) I need to stop "finishing" meals and snacks with sweets. I'm going to invest in some nice teas.
4) Try to exercise in the mornings again.

Thanks!!!

katieo said...

the solution is always easier when it's not your own problem, eh?

lol, yes, of course!

Carolyn said...

Well basically you have three choices.

1. You can just give in, let the other leg drop off the wagon and concentrate on school/work whatever. In this scenario, you're probably going to gain a few pounds and feel completely awful.

2. You can keep on going the way you are now. You'll probably only gani a pound in the next few weeks but your "tire" may start to slowly inflate a little mor than your comfortable with.

3. You can make a commitment to yourself that you'll do your absolute best whenever possible. You'll say no to those peppermint marshmallow thingys and you weon't bake them again (since you know they are a trigger) You'll get to the gym whever you can but still meet a minimum goal/week for gym time. You think twice before have ice cream and opt for chocolate frozen yogurt instead. In this scenario you'll probably lose a few pounds and feel fantastic AND you'll have WAY more energy to work at school and get graduated!

Hmmmm.....

soapbox girl said...

Yeah, what Katie said.