Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Being good...and clutter free

Being good feels good. I need to remember that. Meg wrote about this a while ago too, but I'd just forgotten about it until today when I was actually good and didn't suffer from it - it just felt good. I think I'm not alone is this all or nothing "goodness" behavior. Though today, I was just so happy to be able to put two silver dots next to Jan 2 on my new super cute letterpress calendar that I got from Meg (thanks!). Baby steps...baby steps... But seriously, I feel like I'm either "together" and good or "disheveled/lazy" and not good.

I remember a while back there was discussion on the blogs about being organized and clean and keeping on track (again, the "on" or "off" mode). Well, we aren't alone. Check this out: purging your clutter and weight-loss go hand in hand.

This makes a lot of sense to me - living in a mess (as I usually do) is stressful , a time drain, and makes me feel bad about myself. It's time to get my act together - last night I purged my magazines and books and mugs and we have plans to load up the car with our "give away" pile in the basement this weekend - I can't wait. (Do I get to count lifting as exercise?)

7 comments:

Carolyn said...

YAY for being organized, I'm a total clean freak and can't sleep if there are dished in the sink! Keep it up!

Sara said...

I love being organized! It's too bad I have such a problem with my desk being a bomb site!!

Amy said...

I completely agree. I'm in the process of moving out, and my stuff is everywhere! It's driving me insane! I'm throwing out/selling/giving away everything I can get my hands on! Buh-bye clutter! Hello, peace of mind!

soapbox girl said...

Very interesting! And I remember writing comments to Meg about this last summer or early fall.

I'm sorting through my books, too. I plan to make some extra cash selling them to the used bookstore nearby. Other than that, my place is very clean. My big problem is keeping everything in its place during mid terms and finals when everything turns to pooh. ;)

Unknown said...

I'm pretty much a neat freak, with the exception of a drawer or two. But when I purge those one or two 'junk' stashes, man.... it feels great! Good luck with this endeavor!

katieo said...

Ok, I'll come in here and make the non-neat freak comment.

I'm a slob.
I also happen to be a creative genius. They go hand in hand. right? RIIIIIGHT???

That said, I hate clutter. I can't stand extra stuff laying around. But if it's already my stuff, somehow I'm ok with that. Did that make any sense at all?

Bri said...

all you neat people - I'm so jealous of you...on Monday I'm bringing a camera to work to show you what my desk looks like. It's not pretty. I'm just a walking mess-maker.

Katie - RIGHT. and I'm so glad I'm not the only messy one!