Monday, November 12, 2007

Things I ate...and the one thing I didn't but should have

I just ate my way through Central Europe (well, just parts of the Czech Republic and Austria). I am baffled about how the people there are so skinny - all this stuff we hear over in America about how in other countries people eat healthier and restaurants serve smaller portions is a huge lie*. Veggies in the Czech Rep. looked terrible, so I don't blame them for just eating meat, gravy, and bread dumplings. And in Austria, it is all pastries all the time, with a side of very large wiener schnitzels and sausages. (I suppose people must eat like birds when they eat at home to compensate.) And I don't think the locals can walk all of these extra calories off - their public transportation is so good there (and stops seemingly every 10 feet). Like I said this morning, I was eating about 40 points per day, and said yes to just about everything I came across that looked tasty. Luckily, I hate beer and wine, so that gave me a few extra calories (and cash) to spend on coffee and pastries. On days that I didn't walk all day long (conference days) - I usually made up for the pastries by having just soup for dinner.
*may not be statistically significant

Things I didn't eat but should have (Meg, you'll kill me, but I didn't get back to the store):

(that's right, this list is very short.)

Things I ate and maybe shouldn't have (obviously, some of the plates are for the boy - you think I'm a pig or something? ahaha):
Um, this was really tasty - included gingerbread dumplings.

This was also tasty, though not worth the calories - thei big offender here was the ginormous fried potato pancakes that is wrapped around the meat. I didn't eat much of it. I kept thinking of that Simpsons episode when Dr. Nick tells Homer how to rub food in paper to see if its transparent...


Vienna was crazy delicious and chocolatey. I didn't the whole case, but I did get one of the chestnut chocolate confections, which were the in-season thing while I was there.

This sausage was the first of many. It would have been impossible, in term of time and money, to eat healthy while on the road like this. At least the sausage is tasty.


The famous Sacher torte with the Vienese "melange" coffee.

Hot chestnuts - sooo good.



I only ordered Wiener Schnitzel once...and they gave me two ENORMOUS pieces. I ate about 1/2 of one piece.


The Linzer torte.


That's right ladies - that whole pastry is covered in chocolate. Hello. The other has a poppyseed filling.

Our last desserts before coming home. The pic is not good, but the desserts were :)



Today: Ate 19 so far, exercised 2, flex left 10. I may use a few of the extra points for a hot chocolate. These pictures make me crave sweets. Whoops.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, I'm amazed you were able to keep your points in check around all those goodies! CONGRATS Bri!
What a fun trip! I am dying to go to the Czech Republic, it is my heritage but I've never been there.

Thanks for the tasty photos

Meg said...

mmmmm...everything looks YUMMY!!!! and, i can't believe you didn't eat a macaron (or i suppose it would be a "luxemburgerli" in a german-speaking country....sooo jealous!

marie said...

I would have eaten cake all day, every day.

yum.

Carolyn said...

Yikes! The Food looks amazing!!!! When I am away from home or on vacation, I always seemt o indulge WAY more than I would at home. With desserts like these staring you int he face, who wouldn't say YES PLEASE!

Sara said...

Wow all those goodies look soo yummy! Good for you for only eating 1/2 of 1 piece of schnitzel and only 1/2 of the potato pancakes - I would've probably eaten every last bite!!

soapbox girl said...

Sacher Torte! Yummmmm!