Monday, October 1, 2007

Jook

My cold has gone evil on me - a running nose has been added to sore throat and I'm quite miserable. I know I shouldn't complain a cold, but this one is not nice. Anyway, when I got home tonight, threw some rice in a pot to start making jook (congee), a Chinese-style rice porridge that I am nuts for, especially when I'm sick. It is basically really mushy over cooked rice in lots of water or broth with a dab of meat. It is topped with cilantro and green onions and sometimes other treats. I guess it is the Chinese version of chicken noodle soup. Asians I know either love it or hate it - the ones who hate it associate it with being sick.
What do you eat when you are sick?
FJ: ate 20, exercised 0, flex left 20
(Image credit: worldsoups.com)

2 comments:

Sara said...

I eat cream of mushroom soup and tuna sandwhiches - what my Grandparents would cook for me when they watched me while I was sick.

soapbox girl said...

This soup looks so yummy. I think I would like it in good health! Maybe I should try it....