Monday, September 3, 2007

endurance



well, saturday was what can really only be called a "bender"...i was definitely off the wagon.

but, i've hopped back on. hopefully to stay. today i ate 26..exercised 0. but considering saturday, this was a huge improvement. really, i'm not sure what happened. it was like i was possessed... by either cookie monster or jabba the hut. or possibly both.

days like saturday really make me think (well, afterwards!). this is what kills me: i'm not a dumb person. i'm not an incapable person. most people would put me in the "has her stuff together" category. unless they see secret footage of me in the kitchen.... this is one area of life where i definitely do not have my stuff together. yet.

here is my latest conclusion and weekend deep thought:
i've been thinking about running a lot lately. mostly because i wish i could run and didn't have a bad back, bad ankles and bad knees...it would make calorie burning so much less time-consuming.... anyway, back in the day, i used to be a runner. i was a sprinter...i absolutely suck at jogging or any sort of distance running. and basically, it's because i don't know how to pace myself.

and, this seems to be a common theme in my life. i'm really exceptionally good at doing things fast. ( i.e. cramming for tests, pulling together huge weddings in 24-30 hours, speed reading, writing papers 3 hours before they are due etc. etc....) i'm an expert at sprinting. and i like sprinting. i like the adrenaline, the "can i really get this all done??" and i like things to be over quickly.

but, what i need to learn how to do for successful weight loss is pace myself. make small changes and keep plodding along towards the finish line. i think the key is to keep doing it--be as consistent as possible and keep moving forward ...coincidentally, this is something i need to do in the rest of my life too. plod along instead of working in short, furious spurts...it's weird how much is really tied up in this food thing. it's never really about the food.

well. that's all for tonight. oh, did you hear that cookie monster doesn't eat cookies anymore? maybe he's on to something...

4 comments:

Bri said...

lol - does cookie monster have loose skin in the second picture? I think a cookie monster who eats only 26 points did a-ok. But, knowing you, your post makes a whole-lotta sense. Maybe you should print out the tortoise pic and put it up somewhere :)

soapbox girl said...

What do you MEAN the cookie monster no longer eats cookies??? Gimme a break. What does he say now, "Mmmmm fruit! Must have fruit!" (???) I'm sad now.

katieo said...

"but, i've hopped back on. "
Then the battle's half won! :)

Love reading your deep thought. Although I must disagree with one point. I believe there is an area of your life where you have excelled at plodding along, going *really* slow, making small changes that have resulted in a beautiful result. Although it may seem like "pacing yourself" is a total departure for your brain, I think you totally have it in you (and are actually quite adept at NOT sprinting :)

ANd all I have to say about cookie monster is, they didn't change his name did they? As far as I'm concerned he'll always be the cookie monster around us!

marie said...

i think it's a vicious rumour...if he can't eat our cookies then we're all DOOOOOOOMED!