Saturday, September 1, 2007

motivation went a.w.o.l.

hmm...i'm surprised how much that scale reading yesterday has affected me...and not really in a good way. boo. (checked again this morning, and is 174 even.) although i suspect this may have a bit to do w/ impending tom, i'm sure it has more to do with the lack of exercise, too much eating out, too much snacking, too many carbs, not enough vegs etc etc. however, i'm totally puzzled by flatter stomach and jeans that are looser (even when washed).

the problem is, it's just making me want to give up. well, not entirely...but i sort of stopped counting yesterday at about 5 pm...and didn't exercise yesterday. and i got up late this morning and didn't exercise again. arrgh. i suppose i can do something later in the day when it gets cooler...

soooo...i'm sure i just need to mix things up..try a new recipe, and find something besides walking to keep me entertained and get back on track. raahhh. some days i just don't want to be on track. some days i just want to be a glutton. but i want to be a skinny glutton...and that just aint gonna happen.

how many times must i come to the same conclusion????

4 comments:

soapbox girl said...

Weight gain can ironically make me not care, too. Well, until later and then suddenly I not only care, but am mad at myself, too. Don't let that happen. Motivation is tough. Some of the things that help me

1) reading dramatic weight loss stories. The weigh we were has som great motivating stories, with before and after pictures. My favorite!
http://www.theweighwewere.com/

2) Pick up a magazine like Shape or Fitness and read some motivating articles. If I don't see improvement, I can't stay with it.

3) Have you thought about setting a non-scale goal? Like working toward a 5k. Or a triathlon. Anything that's fitness, but not scale related.

4) Let WW doing the weighing if you can help it. That way, if you go up, you aren't alone without a group to help encourage you. The meeting is pretty uplifting, I think. And if you gain, the leader will most likely say something that will keep you from wanting to throw in the towel.

5) Reread my "This is Sparta!" post. Just kidding. :))

Good luck and don't give up, it will get better. Promise!

Bri said...

Meg - I think you should believe your newly washed jeans. But I know what you mean, when I gain, even if I think it's not really fat, it makes me want to quit. But you can't have gained 4 lbs of fat in 1 week! I bet it'll come off soon. I like soap box girl's suggestions, especially setting non-scale goals.

Meg said...

soap box girl--such awesome suggestions, and just in the nick of time! i did actually use 1 + 2 today and i'm trying to think of a goal for #3...really, thanks. i needed that! :)


bridget---yes, jeans don't lie. why does the scale? it has decimal points and is supposed to be "scientific"...hmm

katieo said...

So I'm a little late on this post. I just wanted to say I've TOTALLY been there. Weirdly enough, weight LOSS has a similar effect. (woo-hoo! 2 pounds down! I can eat like I used to!)

Realizing and writing about this stuff makes so much of the difference for me. And did you say TOM is impending? please. I don't think you should step on that scale until a good week AFTER it's left.