Wednesday, September 5, 2007

a formula for success...

today was not what i'd call a virtuous one...i woke up to a gigantic thunderstorm which put the kabosh on walking outside. i could/should have gone mallwalking, but instead slept in. then we discovered a huge water leak on the main floor of the house (major stress! but it turned out to be easily fixable and not the $3000 repair bill i was worrying about while stuffing things in my mouth and stressing out about it.) anyway, so my "real" job is teaching music lessons, and so after the water leak episode ended, i immediately started teaching. wednesday is one of my longer days--i teach from 2:15 until 9 pm with a 15 minute break from 6:30-6:45.

i think the 15 min break is what killed me today. i ate about 6 pts in that 15 minutes. which would have been fine except that i commenced the eating again when i was done at 9 pm. anyway, i ended up going way way over points and again no exercise. (ate 27--i think--flex left: 27)

here are my goals...or my "formula for success"...or what i need to change STAT if i ever hope to lose any weight.

1. go to bed earlier. (it's 1 am now...i've been averaging about 2-3am for the last 2 weeks. this really does not help in the willpower department.)
2. plan meals in advance
3. plan snacks for teaching breaks in advance
4. exercise everyday...even if its just 10-20 minutes that is better than nothing!
5. write down what i'm eating before it goes in my mouth, not after.
6. drink more water
7. measure measure measure. no more "guessing" (aka "trying to pull a fast one." on who? oh yea, myself...)

Lofty goals, i know. i actually think the late bedtime and the lack of daily exercise is a lot of what has been killing me in the last 2 weeks. i would not be the least bit surprised to see another gain this week.

time to get all the way back on the wagon.

5 comments:

Bri said...

Meg - add "Don't be so hard on myself" to that list. You didn't pig out! 27 points in one day? pleease. That means you ate just 4 flex, right? (It's not like eyou've been eating 40+ points a day, like someone around here.)

But, along the lines of Katie's post - I think planning your snacks out is key. I've noticed way different snacking habits when I work from home instead of lab. I think I might try "packing" my snacks and meals when I work from home too. maybe not. we'll see.

Bri said...

Go read crabby's post today!

Crabby McSlacker said...

Thanks Meg & Bridget!

It really is discouraging to slip a little so I think we exaggerate in our own minds how "bad" we are. Sounds like you're doing great overall and Staying On Track, so way to go!

Meg said...

bridget--thanks...yea, i think sometimes i am too hard on myself, but then there are a lot of times when i'm not hard enough on myself...(like most of the time.) i just let myself get away with stuff because i don't like being disciplined!

crabby--thanks for the encouraging words!

katieo said...

meg, those look like great goals. I still stink at the going to bed one. What about when there's still so much to do? But I do feel SO much better when I can even get a couple more hours of sleep. 2:15 to 9 with a 15 minute break? yikes. What a long day!