Monday, September 17, 2007

more or less


so, i've decided to take just a teeny step back and refocus my goals. see, this always happens when i get excited about losing weight. i get all gung-ho and totally revamp all of my eating habits, start exercising a ton and voila! i lose like 7-10 lbs in a few weeks. but, then the weight starts coming back...because most (or none) of the changes stuck. shazam. funny how that works...

so, i think the key for me is to pick 1-2 things to focus on. right now i am having real problems embracing the word "less"...in fact, i think in thinking so much about eating less and weighing less, i've started to eat more, and weigh more.

so, i've decided to think about things i need more of. more is a good word for me. i'm all about more.

so, here are my goals for the week:

more exercise
more water

and that's it. (i'm going to keep counting, but am focusing my attention elsewhere for now)

so....all you water drinkers out there: tell me what you think about drinking water. see, i've never been a water drinker...(i'm more of a diet coke drinker. bad, i know.) but, i'm always hearing people say to drink more water to lose weight. soo...does it work? please, tell it all!


oh, and treadmill day 1 was successful! i woke up 2 hours late and still managed to walk for 30 minutes. i exercised 2 and ate 23.

7 comments:

Bri said...

Drinking lots and lots of water is a greeeat. except for all those bathroom runs :) I find that it helps me to drink from a nalgene so I don't have to refill as often and I know how much I've had. I am for one before lunch, one before dinner, and one after dinner. I also drink the water room temp-warm, as I find it easier to chug that way :)

Sara said...

I bought a big ass glass from shoppers or something (people at work always think it is a flower vase). It holds 2.5 cups of water. That way I get all my water, I know how much I drink and I like drinking from this fun blue cup!

Randi said...

yay yay water! I drink ooodles and ooodles of water. Like 4 ish litres a day. (twice the RDI) I drink it when I've got a tickle in my throat, when i've got bad breath, a bad taste, a good taste, something stuck in my teeth, a headache, a dry mouth, i'm bored, i'm hungry but it's not time to eat, and whenever I see my water bottle! I don't know if it's helping me lose weight, but it's keeping me occupied and letting all my body function properly. I don't retain water as easily from TOM or whatever. I've heard that being slightly dehdrated can reduce your metabolism by like 30%. so I'm not taking chances.

Crabby McSlacker said...

Wow, what a great strategy to get out of that "feeling deprived" state--shift focus for a while to the "more" things and not the "less" things.

Excellent idea. Now I need more chocolate covered almonds! Oh wait... wrong list. Dang.

Unknown said...

Hi Meg,
I love your MORE strategy! In the past I've always done the same thing, get on the bandwagon, do awesome, fall totally off. This time around I am moving at a snails pace, but it seems to keep me on track better.

Anyhoo, I like the H2O too. I drink 3-4 liters per day. Sometimes I make myself chug, sometimes I sip consistently. It keeps me more regular (TMI?) and helps keep me occupied/full-ish feeling when I might be tempted by the work pantry.

I used to dump Crystal Light in it to really get me chugging, but for some reason, now I'm trying to shy away from artificial sweeteners.. but whatever works!

katieo said...

SO smart! I lovve thinking about things I can do and have rather than things I "can't".
I bought one of those big water jugs and just haul it around with my all day.

Meg said...

bri--yes, bathroom runs, not my favorite...!

sara--"people at work always think it is a flower vase"---lol!

randi--holy cow, 4 liters??? oh wait, i probably drink that much diet coke. i imagine drinking that much water would probably be better for me!

crabby--i hope it works!

thickchick--i am totally using crystal light right now just to transition from diet coke...but eventually i'd like to be free of artificial sweeteners too!

katie---ok, i have this visual of you dragging one of those huge water cooler jugs around and then hoisting it up to drink out of...haha! i'm assuming yours probably isn't *that* big... :)