Sunday, August 26, 2007

Dress, take 1

So it was horribly hot yesterday and we had a bunch of friends over so I made that summer dress that I'd been thinking about making. I was very happy to see that I didn't have to alter the pattern to make up for my pearyness - I'd read the direction wrong the first time - you add 20 inches to the chest measurement. My hips are not 20 inches wider than my chest. Not yet. Anyways, I was worried the dress wouldn't turn out well, so I used some spare fabric (actually, it is a "man" sarong from Thailand that my mom gave to my husband - he was happy to see it turned into something he'd never ever have to wear).

I followed the online directions, except for all of that pinning "preparation" stuff - I'm lazy. I also used 8 elastics not 6, and made the bottom elastic two inches shorter than the rest, to minimize the "isshepreggo?" look. I also made it smaller than the directions - I stitched the back a few times, b/c it was too big and billowy, probably shaving 3 inches or so off of the original. Anyways. It super comfy! and very cool for the these hot summer days out here. I'll probably make another, with fabric that I like more. Something flowery!

I spent the afternoon slaving over the drywall ceiling in our bathroom that we installed a while ago. It's in SIX pieces (that's a lot) and our joists were uneven...so my joining/skimming work is really hard to do. I've done a full sanding/skim on it, and its starting to look a lot better. Anyway, caloriesperhour says I burned 500 calories. And I believe it. It's hard work...the sanding and skimming and wiping...ouchers.

Today, I didn't do my pilates as planned, so I won't call it an SVD. But I ate 20, exercised 5, and have 14 flex remaining.

5 comments:

Meg said...

super cute!!! yea, i can't see john wearing a man sarong...much better as a bri dress!

soapbox girl said...

LOVE the dress! It looks so cute on you. Lookin' skinny, girl! :)

Randi said...

this is cute! how long did it take you to make? most impressed with keeping the pattern vertical and not all angley.

Jaime said...

Just happened upon your blog today. Super cute dress!!! I bet people start asking you to make them for sale. :)

Bri said...

meg - maybe i should cut the top off and give it back to john to wear. ahaha.

soap box girl - thanks!!! The dress conveniently hides my hips :)

randi - it took about 2.5 hours. It's not so straight if you see it up close, or from behind. whoops!

bionicwoman - thanks for stopping by and saying nice things about my dress :)