Thursday, August 9, 2007

Ode to Fage

So, aside from recognizing my peariness (should that be pearyness?) and almost getting run over, my day was pretty plain. Though I did have to eat out TWICE. Luckily, my points are resetting tomorrow for weigh-in day. Yay! My treadmill is out of commission for a few days while we have a house-guest, so I was only able to get 3 exercise points. and I ate 28. make that 29 with the TJ's dark chocolate square I just ate. So I've used 30 flex points this week. Not bad, though I wished I had gotten more exercise in. Oh well.

Since I have nothing interesting to report today, I just want write an ode to Fage, and the Trader Joe's cheaper version of Greek Style Yogurt. I've seen reference to it on some other blogs (don't remember which, maybe AngryFatGirlz). But it's wonderful. I eat so much yogurt that I often make it at home and currently have sort of coffee drip filter system set up in the fridge to see if I can emulate the good (though expensive) stuff. Even if I can't make the strained stuff, the original makes a really wonderful starter.

oh Fage
and Joe's version too
i love you
for you are so creamy
and nonfat
with 20g of protein
in a sweet sweet 2 points

you are so thick
and lovely
and are so very tasty
especially
with berries or honey

6 comments:

Meg said...

i really need to try this stuff. how is it pronounced?

(why am i always asking dumb food questions on this blog? i feel like a hick country bumpkin, but i promise i am not. really.)

sounds yummy. 20 g protein and 2 pts? definitely ode-worthy!

Bri said...

No clue. Apparently it's "Fa'-yeh" but I also don't know how to pronounce that. We all call it "that expensive greek yogurt stuff". Though now I seem to have replicated it at home. yay! thouugh with organic milk, I'm not sure that I'm saving any money. hrm. i'd better reevaluate.

Randi said...

Boo. I don't know where to find this stuff! I am a hick country bumpkin way up in Sask Canada and we don't have Trader Joe's or anything. How the heck do you make your own?

Bri said...

Randi - its easy! take a good quality unsweetened nonfat yogurt (in Canada they have liberte, yummy) and strain it for a few hours in the fridge. I have a plastic coffee cone that takes a #4 filter that I used. Other people use cheesecloth and place it in a veggie strainer set over a bowl. I think the whey is the sour part, to the strained yogurt is really delicious. After you get set up with that, you can try making your own yogurt! I use a salton yogurt maker (4 cups at a time) that I bought on amazon for $13. Just microwave the yogurt for 8 minutes, let it come to a littler warmer than body temp (42C), then put it in the maker and add a tablespoon or two of yummy plain yogurt. leave it for 6 hours or so. or over night. good luck!

Shauna said...

Hello! I am a fool for Fage and such a sad case that I was searching Technorati looking for other bloggers who'd written about it... loved your ode! :) And I'm in awe that you made your own!

Bri said...

Shauna - So glad you stopped by! I was just reading your post about the magic white stuff today. Nice pavlova!