Saturday, August 4, 2007

whoa.

Q: Meg is allowed 23 points per day and has a total of 34.5 flex points left for the week. If she earned a total of 3 activity points for the day, but has 10.5 flex points left at the end of the day, how many points did she eat?

a) i can't count that high
b) surely not more than 40
c) 50

A: 50 points.

Well. Here is a prime example of how the "all or nothing" mentality can really get you. I knew that I was going to have to go to lunch w/ my g-ma for her b-day today, and she picked this "authentic" (read: greasy) Mexican restaurant which i really happen to hate. (but, i am a bit of a snob about mexican food since i'm from the southwest). Anyway...i knew i'd be having a high points lunch...and i knew there would be tortilla chips calling my name. HOWEVER, i was prepared with my numerous flex points and 3 activity points and a resolve to exercise portion control and become the weight loss genius that i was born to be.

i think the (first) fatal error came when i decided to have a granola bar before leaving to prevent the "i'm ravenous, must stuff face w/ chips" scenario...maybe a good idea? i don't know--it might have been had i stopped there. then, for some reason, i decided that having a few more things before i went would be an even better idea and prevent the chip-face-stuffing that usually happens. I ate 6 points of "snacky" stuff that really didn't fill me up at all.

Well, long story short, i did eat the chips, and a greasy chicken burrito and the greasy rice that came on the side. and then when i got home, i just kept eating. and eating. and then i took a nap. and ate something else. and 50 points later, i realized that a) this type of scenario has been happening a lot in the last few months, b) this is how i mysteriously came to weigh 179, c) i feel sick, sluggish and disgusting and d) it is a freaking miracle that i don't weigh A LOT more than i do. a miracle, i'm telling you.

BUT...this is why i'm choosing to look at today as mini-victory (despite the ridiculous amount of food i ate)

1. I kept track of every single thing i ate and was 100% honest, right down to chip #38.
2. I realized how yucky i feel after eating this much
3. I realized that being out of fruits/vegs to munch on must never happen again.
4. I realized that granola bars are a "gateway drug" for me...leading to other sugary carb-filled things from packages.
5. I realized that when going out, i'm much better off just eating there and not trying any pre-meal preventative snacks.

SOooooo....that's all for today. I plan to be back on track tomorrow and stop all this 50-point silliness.

6 comments:

katieo said...

I have a feeling I love that greasy mexican place you went to...(although I still believe it's not the food that brings me back. I heard the put heroin in their dressing).

Anyway, this is so true:
"2. I realized how yucky i feel after eating this much" Sometimes you just gotta feel like crap to remember what it's like to feel great. Some of my best weeks follow horrid days.

Meg said...

katieo--actually, i wish we had gone for some heroin dressing (i'm a big fan too)...no, we were at the zero-taste-cover-everything-in-cheese-and-maybe-they-won't-notice-that-our-food-totally-sucks place on center street. ugh. actually, i think the reason i kept eating later was because i didn't feel satisfied at all with what i did eat (because it was gross and had no flavor). thanks for the encouragement---looking forward to a good week after a truly horrid day!

Anonymous said...

I had one of those days yesterday too. I just couldn't stop eating. I went to my friend's child's 1st b-day party and had 2, count'em 1 - 2, servings of cake. What was wrong with me????? Then I went out for dinner with my BF and had 2 thick slices of bread with olive oil (had to get those oils in somehow - lol!). I didn't even bother to count the points.

I'm hoping that being good the rest of the week will help make up for that debacle. Good for you for pointing everything yesterday. It takes a stronger woman than me to write down everything on a day she considers "bad."

soapbox girl said...

Oh how I love Mexican food. Yum! One bad day is no big deal. I bet it will be the motivation you need for this week. Don't forget that you can get a pass on weighing at WW this week, if you want.

Meg said...

struck my fancy--thanks for coming by! yes, i don't know what comes over me sometimes too. i guess the important thing is to make sure that it is only "sometimes" not "every day!"

soapbox girl--yes, i've already been 100% more virtuous today, so i'm hoping this will last for the rest of the week! thanks for the encouraging words--you are right, one bad day isn't a big deal.

Bri said...

In such cases as these (ala Lizzy Bennett), be happy that you are varying your points up and aren't eating the same thing over and over again. Is that the "Wendi" plan? See, stuffing yourself silly can be good sometimes :)