Tuesday, August 21, 2007

eat your vegetables



so. one of my goals along with the losing weight and becoming skinny thing is to also stop eating so so so many things that come out of packages...and eat more things that require peeling, chopping, dicing and julienning.

here's the puzzling thing though: i genuinely like vegetables--i would even say i love vegetables. when i was a kid, i always took seconds of whatever vegetable my mom made. if placed in front of a vegetable tray, i will choose that over crackers or chips. i always order salad in restaurants and ask for vegetables instead of mashed potatoes. however, nowadays, i seem to buy copious amounts of vegetables that never actually get eaten. (insert bri's horrified gasp here) i don't get it. i like them. why don't i eat them?

so, i ask you, what do you do to make sure you eat your vegetables? do you have any strategies? or am i just a weirdo who buys vegetables and then doesn't eat them? (wait, don't answer that)


oh, and before i forget: today was ok...i had 3 activity points, ate 26, 35 flex left.

7 comments:

Bri said...

Hrm - yeah, I have no trouble with the veggies. But I do find that I eat MORE of them when they are "special" to me. No, not from a short bus. From a farmers market, or my boston organics box. Is there a place you can get local veggies? As fall approaches, it might get easier too - you can make a big pot of soup.

soapbox girl said...

I, too, can waste copious amounts of produce if I'm not careful. The secret for me is to chop everything up when I first bring it home from the market. If you buy carrots and celery go ahead and wash it and place it in a separate container for easy access. For vegetables you plan to cook with or use as side dishes, cut them when you can (unless doing so will cause it to brown too quickly) or just set them aside with a mental note what you will use it for. It helps me to have a menu planned when I shop, too. That keeps me from wasting money on stuff I don't need or won't use.

soapbox girl said...

I, too, can waste copious amounts of produce if I'm not careful. The secret for me is to chop everything up when I first bring it home from the market. If you buy carrots and celery go ahead and wash it and place it in a separate container for easy access. For vegetables you plan to cook with or use as side dishes, cut them when you can (unless doing so will cause it to brown too quickly) or just set them aside with a mental note what you will use it for. It helps me to have a menu planned when I shop, too. That keeps me from wasting money on stuff I don't need or won't use.

soapbox girl said...

Ummm, sorry about the double post. Blogger freaked out while I was submitting. The whole site shut down for a couple of minutes there.

marie said...

i buy a huge bag of baby carrots and a couple of cucumbers every week and eat them raw with lunch all week long. With dinners i make sure to add at least two veggies to every meal (usually broccoli and something else). I never have a problem getting veggies in. Fruit on the other hand is a big problem....

Samantha said...

I love veggies too but others in my family do not. It is a pain.
Also, I think that a package just needs to be opened and veggies need slicing and dicing and julienning.
They also need thought in preparation as well.
I think the key is to plan ahead. I also decided to have frozen veggies on hand too. That way I will eat them and they also rarely go to waste.

Meg said...

thanks for the suggestions and great ideas! i think i need to plan ahead...open and cut things up as soon as i get home...and make them a part of my eating routine...